Ball bearings are the most common type of bearing and feature metal balls between an inner ring and outer ring. This rolling element reduces rotational friction and supports small radial and thrust loads.
The three main functions of ball bearings are to carry loads, reduce friction and position moving machine parts.
As ball bearings prevent direct metal-to-metal contact between elements in motion, they prevent friction, excessive heat and wear and tear. More benefits of ball bearings are:
- Easy to replace
- Can operate under a wide range of temperatures
- Uses grease with a higher dripping point
- Gives less resistance
Ball bearings are versatile and different types are used depending on the application.
- Loose ball bearings
- Miniature bearings – For compact applications
- Thin section ball bearing – For high-tech applications
- Deep groove ball bearing – For higher load capacities
- Magneto bearing – For low loads and high speeds
- Stainless steel ball bearings – Used where there is a risk of corrosion
As they are so common, ball bearings are used in many sectors including:
- Gearboxes and motors
- Electrical power plants
Specific examples of items that use ball bearings are bicycle wheels, appliances, centrifugal pumps and lawnmowers.
The Bearing Company have a variety of ball bearings for sale from trusted brands like Enduro, NTN-SNR, SKF, FAG, TIMKEN, INA, NSK, RHP and our own brand bearings.
We can offer next-day delivery and tracked delivery with reliable couriers. If you need guidance on which type of ball bearing is best for your job, call us on 01527 509620 or email [email protected].